2.12.2007

gram of grammys

Did anyone else watch the Grammys last night? I did, but learned a valuable lesson when I rewatched it with the husband. It would have been a much better idea to just let the Tivo tape the show and then watch it. Seriously, I was able to reduce a four-hour Grammy show to a half hour with Tivo.

Now don't get me wrong, there were some highlights like:
-- The Police reunited!!!!! [YouTube link here]
-- Justin Timberlake's two performances
-- Mary J on fire as always

But then there were some...I don't know how else to describe it except complete crap performances like:
-- Chris Brown "performing" a song that he sang probably ten whole words of the whole time while dancing the rest and letting his back-up singers do the heavy lifting
-- Ludacris rapping a song about some runaway girl [yes, I understand that some kids live troubled lives, but there's a difference between bringing attention to their plight and over doing it just to have people think you're a "serious" rapper]
-- Shakira's performance was ok, but you have to wonder how interesting a two-hour concert is when all she does is shimmy around the same way over and over again. Not only do her hips not lie, but they don't shut up, which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that they say the same things over and over and over again

The big winners last night were the Dixie Chicks and I do like that one song about not wanting to place nice but all those Grammys were too many. Justin Timberlake should have at least gotten a few that went to the country chicks. As the husband and I talked about later, it's always weird with the Grammys. More than any other award show, when an artist starts to get momentum in the first hour of the award show, you know they're going to sweep everything. Even the Oscars aren't like that.

So yeah, did anyone even pay attention to this or was it just me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Timberlake actually played the piano - or was that canned? They weren't showing too much of the keyboard during his little Chris Martin impression.

The poice were cool though - and John Meyer too - I love the look on Timberlake's face when JM took the Grammy.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "Police", and "loved the look on Timberlake's face." I always hit the submit button too quickly.

And Mary J Blige being labeled as "musical royalty"?

Klick4MU said...

I wish I would have had Tivo when watching it...probably could have used the extra two hours. As for the awards, which I think in years past have been overly commercialized, might have earned a little bit more respectability this year. Hell the Dixie Chicks were ran out of the entire state of Missouri by Clear Channel and they still won. I don't know maybe this is the turning point, maybe you won't be able to buy a grammy anymore...sorry "JT."