2.26.2007

r.i.p. [rip] studio 60

[Oh! It looks like IMDB did a redesign!]

Tonight, NBC is starting a new show called The Black Donolleys that is apparently awesome. I'll let you know later. But they're putting it in the Studio 60 time slot. For those of you who don't know alot about TV, this is a kiss of death for a show when you're bumped for a midseason replacement with no idea of when you are going to return.

I started watching Studio 60 when it was totally hyped as the new Aaron Sorkin drama. Since then, it's sucked. Ok, one or two shows are good, but that's usually followed by three episodes of crap. A snake is stuck in a vent with a ferret and a coyote? Let's play pretend parents with a doll they use for high school sex ed classes? People are drug addicts? UGH! The worst was when they would have all the religious debate that would go something like "Well, we did this skit that pissed off the Christians so they aren't showing Studio 60 this week in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where all the crazy Christians are." And NBC wondered why no one in the Midwest watched this show. On the romance front, that was all kinds of bad. Aaron Sorkin has no idea how to write romance. They hyped the two main couples, who I could care less about, while I waited for that 30 seconds each episode between this minor couple that was the most interesting on the show.

What makes this even more frustrating is that the cast was amazing! Matthew Perry was so awesome. So awesome! And I loved the interaction between D.L Hughley and Nate Corddry. Hell, just give Nate his own damn show -- without Sorkin writing it! -- and I would be all over that damn thing. And can I just say how much I love Lucy Davis? Because I do.

It's just a shame that such a great cast was saddled with such horrendous writing. So goodbye Studio 60! It was good getting to know you, but I'm glad you're gone.

2 comments:

Klick4MU said...

NBC hasn't said the show was dead just "on a break." I hope that they use their time on "life support" to retool Aaron Sorkin and the writing staff to turn it around and bring back the quick wit and smugness of the "West Wing"...we'll see.

Anonymous said...

"I started watching Studio 60 when it was totally hyped as the new Aaron Sorkin drama"

um, when was it not hyped as such?