8.09.2007

california rocks my world

Last night, I was up at 12:58 surfing the Web when I felt a jolt and my desk shook. Weird. So I called to Aaron in the next room, "Did you feel that?" And just as I saw him walk into the living room, the apartment started shaking. We both kind of hovered in the doorway of the bedroom until the second shake subsided. Turns out California welcomed us with open arms by giving us a nice little earthquake. Lovely. It didn't seem very nice or little to me, but most Californians are saying it wasn't that bad. Um...the earth moving below you isn't that bad? Good thing I haven't hung up my shot glasses yet.

The U.S. Geological Survey has a cool Web site that updates instantly with earthquakes, which is where we checked first. The big square on this chart is what we felt. We're just south of Santa Monica on the map.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I totally got excited about my first earthquake in LA! My coworkers all thought I was crazy because it was a 'little one' too, but it was my first one.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm with you, Jenny - the earth shaking beneath me is bad, regardless of how "little" it might be. Glad you're OK! (Will you be investing in earthquake insurance now?)

Jenny G said...

Oh my, that would freak me out. I'm glad it was just "little" and you're ok. Welcome to CA!