1.26.2007

when you wish upon a "star"

So USA Today ran an article about Disney's new ad campaign for its Year of a Million Dreams. The photos were taken by Annie Lebovitz and include such notable celebrities as Scarlett Johannsen dressed as Cinderella and Beyonce as Alice in Wonderland.
But for my money, the best picture is this one of David Beckham as Prince Phillip in Sleeping Beauty. [click photo for larger image] Yes, Becks is a little too flashy for my tastes and yes, I'm going to get sick of hearing about him over and over when I'm living in L.A., home of his new team the Los Angeles Galaxy. That being said, if I was in a magic-induced coma, I would want to have someone as handsome as David Beckham save me. Plus, Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney movie of all time so I'm partial.

8 comments:

jenny said...

Yeah, my first Spammed comment!

Mrs. Solomon said...

These are very good pictures, and I never would have known about this had I not checked your blog. You really will keep me up to date. Thanks! Oh, and I love Disney, so this is really cool!

Anonymous said...

You're going to be living in LA? Did I miss something?

~Neryssa

Anonymous said...

holy crap! Yep, Neryssa, we're moving to the City of Angels in July. I should probably post something about that, huh?

Chris said...

Is it just me or does it seem incredibly wrong for Disney to get mixed in with celebrities in any way? I mean ok, the making of a star with the Mickey Mouse Club is one thing, but subbing in these likely-to-become bad role models just seems wrong... especially in the place of their beloved cartoons. I mean how long until Prince Phillip head butts another player or Cinderella becomes bulemic? I guess Alice in Wonderland was trippin' already so her heroin overdose won't be too bad.

Klick4MU said...

Yeah Chris that's a good idea be pessimistic about a photo that symbolizes youth and as their ad campaign suggests dreams. So the celebrities never dreamed themselves, right. It's not like their celebrity was handed to them they all worked at it. I'm sure the folks at Disney thought long and hard about who they were gonna pick and what they were gonna do. Way to kill the buzz.

Chris said...

Just thinking about it from a business sense. If I ran Disney I wouldn't do it. I would have had the mind to be nice to the execs over at Pixar who seemed to be helping Disney out quite a bit. I mean, Toy Story wasn't THAT great was it? But then again, money isn't that important when it comes to running some businesses.

jenny said...

Interesting point, Chris. I think it's ok with the people they picked and like the idea, but if they put Paris Hilton in an ad as the virginal Snow White, I would have all kinds of problems.